Tuesday 12 April 2016

Between a Young Boy and My Piece of Cake: Musings on Human Unfaithfulness towards God

chocolate cake and strawberry
Image: Google
Sometime last week, I brought home some cake from work. It was quite much and I didn’t think my baby brothers should be ‘punished’ with so much sugar in their system {yea, I know. They wouldn’t quite agree}. Anyway, I gave some to a little boy, a family friend who just clocked 2 years few months back. Now this little dude {quite handsome, by the way} is the type of kid who doesn’t care much for saying ‘hello', except you have something in your hand that you’re willing to part with, and most of the time, that ‘something’ has to be edible.

And so on this particular day, 

I gestured to him to come say ‘hello’. Trust the bros, he gave me one stinker eye {No, not exaggerating. He can beat any female at eye-rolling!} and hissed. He finished it with “ha beetu” {at least that’s what his ‘I’ll beat you’ sounded like}. Then I said “See cake. Oya come and take”. Oga still did not come o… until I brought out the goody goody.

*singing* “Aunty do good o, she do good!”

Then he approached with caution, probably still skeptical of my kindness, all the while never taking his eyes off the parcel in my hand. When he got to me, he made sure to secure the cake first. Yes, he still conceded a handshake and some petting, but I could see how much he wanted to say “Aunty it's okay abeg”. Our ‘friendship’ didn’t take too long. Lol. Maybe that was all the time my ‘gift’ could buy me. Anyways, our lil man was quick to run back to his mum with the cake, and she did not waste time. Kia kia, he already had cake in his mouth. By this time, he’d probably forgotten that I exist. Cake ti Takeover!


slice of chocolate cake


So I’m sure when I did what I did next, he must have been like “Errm, what are you please?”

I said “Come and give me cake”. Lol. His face alone said it all. Then when he said“Hai nor giv yhu, bettie bettie” {I’ll translate, don’t worry. That was I’ll not give you; beggy beggy}. Yup. For the very same stuff I gave him! My own property! Na me come become begger on top my cake… issokay. Obviously, I was amused. By his unique ‘accent’, but much more by the fact that, as young as he is, he is already typically human. Not getting my point?

What I mean is that, this little boy, as young as he is, already exhibits the same trait seen in older humans {especially in our relationship with God}. Think about it...


chocolate cake recipes
Bae 

He gives us everything. Oh yeah, I forgot. You studied so hard for all your grades? You hustled non-stop to make your money? You read all the parenting books on the shelf to have such well-behaved kids? You exercised rare patience and that’s why you have the best bae in the world?… shall we go on?

See Also>>> Faith-trying Moments in One Week

Abegi! Just in case you didn’t know, there are so many other folks who did much more than you. And where are they today? Not where they expected to be… trust me, it isn’t all about what you do. Besides, where did you get the strength to do those things you did? If only you knew of the ambitious, hardworking, promising folks helplessly lying on the hospital bed right now. Or the ones 6ft below already? Okay, point made? Let’s move on…


Image: Google

We get all we have from Him, and still find it burdensome to be grateful. No, it’s not about you singing a few songs in church. It’s not about your hefty ‘thanksgiving’ offering. It’s about living every moment of everyday in consciousness of He who gave all for you.

It’s about everything you do, everything you say, every thought you entertain, the clothes you wear, the items you shop, the food you eat {don’t roll your eyes. It’s true}, the company you keep, the projects you embark on, EVERYTHING! Not that you won’t come across challenges or feel like you ain’t up to the task. We all do. But knowing that we have a father who gave it all up is enough assurance that we’re covered. Like the lyrics of one of my favorite songs:

“We fall down, but we get up;For a saint is just a sinner who fell down, and got up”  

Just keep living in Him…
Did I mention you can’t do it without the Holy Spirit?
Till next time people,

Peace & Chocolate cake, ✌
Mary

P.S. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm a chocolate cake junkie. More like chocolate junkie sef *runs away to daydream of chocolate*


2 comments: