Friday 2 October 2015

The Abnormal Normality; A Case for Unity in Diversity

unity in diversity

I saw something again.

Walking from Anthony bus stop to work has become- to some extent- routine. So when I see something or someone who spices it up, I classify that as news (you don’t have to agree). Walking towards the pedestrian bridge, I saw this dude on the bridge, biking. It was the first time I’d come across such a sight (I can just hear some of you going “Seriously! Are you a JJC in Lagos?” I agree, I’m not the most exposed person you’ve ever met) so I couldn’t help looking. A few people on the bridge stopped to glance. Me? I looked o! Well, not in an obvious “oh-my-gosh” way; I took in all the details in that ingenious manner us ladies check out a fine ‘bobo’ for the first time.



unity in diversity


He came to the point where he had to come down the bridge stairs and I wondered “Would he?” of course he didn’t. He did not come down the stairs on his bike. He got off and then pulled his machine along as he made his way down. That was when I spied his shirt. It read “Who wants to be normal?” I could not help smiling. Kinda apt, yea?

unity in divrsity

Then I thought about these ‘abnormal’ ones in our society. The misfits who never seem to give a hoot about norms, rules or what have you? You can hurl insults at them all year round and they wouldn’t even bat an eyelid. I thought about the insanely creative individuals who break protocol and produce record-breaking inventions. Then I imagined that we all should NOT want to be normal. But then again I thought, if all of us were NOT normal, would we not have more ‘upside-downNESS’ in the world? I still haven’t decided.


unity in diversity

Maybe everyone should just accept the others for who they are. We cannot all be ‘normal’ according to society laws; won’t the world then be a boring sphere to live in? Several examples abound. From ‘crazy’ scientists whose inventions are enjoyed globally now, to artists who have somehow managed to overhaul world views, our world is a better place for its fair share of ‘Abnormals’.

Unity in diversity- creative people


My submission: Nobody has to be like you, and your outlook of the world does not have to be accepted by the next person. Give everyone a chance because no matter what you think or do, the rebels, the misfits, the deviants or whatever other name you choose to tag them with, will ALWAYS be a part of our world.

Creative young white girl- unity in diversity

I’ll end this with a quote I saw somewhere:
“Blessed are the Weird People. The Poets and Misfits. The Artists. The Writers & Music Makers. The Dreamers. The Outsiders; for they force us to see the world differently.”

Peace y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment