Wednesday 5 August 2015

How Far, Nigeria; Issues in the Nigerian Society


I saw something again today. I’m beginning to think I deserve a tag- Legend of the Seer, maybe? Or what do y’all think? We’ll leave that for now. Let’s get back to what I saw today. A little background info first: I serve my nation at a TV station in town and I wouldn’t say NYSC has been boring for me. I work as a reporter so I get to go places and see faces.
Back to the main thing: I was just returning from another day out in the city of Ibadan, looking for news to report; little did I know that I would find news right at the entrance gate to our office.



Our official car was almost pulling in when we were stopped briefly. I craned my neck in order to get a better view of what was causing the slight traffic ahead. What I saw made me laugh at first, than it made me want to cry. Finally, I just settled for reflective thinking. Here’s what I saw (I’ll try my best to paint the picture as best as I can):

Lying on the floor, in that unmercifully hot sun, were about 20 pure water sachets. Actually, it looked like a bag had fallen off from a pure water distribution truck or something like that. Most of the sachets had burst and spilled their contents on the road. A few still lay unhurt though. Then comes this commercial bus, its body as horrible as the sound coming from it. The driver stops right there in the middle of the busy road, opens his door and helps himself to the unhurt sachets; he ‘rescues’ them from the road.



Now, like I said, my first reaction was laughter (as was the reaction of every other person in the car with me that day). Then someone said in Yoruba “Ise ni; Ise lo fa” which translates “It is poverty; Poverty is responsible for his action”. Then began my serious moment. Immediately I thought of the politicians and their ‘promises’; promises our fore-fathers heard and to which we’re also being recipients even today.

I thought of one political rally I witnessed recently; old men and women wearing shirts with “Vote for this person or that person” messages. I remembered looking at them as they trudged along under the scorching harmattan sun and thinking “How much are these folks paid for this!?”
I guess what I’m trying to say (or ask) is “Which Way, Nigeria?” Will the majority continue to be fooled and exploited by the callous few? Will manipulation and deceit continue to be the mainstay of Nigerian politics?

I’m not angry (not really, anyway). I’m hurt! and maybe just as confused as the next person. This much I know though, change begins with one!
One person who does one thing to challenge the wicked status quo!
I so hope this doesn’t sound cliché, because until my ‘one’ joins your ‘one’ and the next person’s ‘one’, then we really can’t change things, can we?

Here ends my thoughts for now. Think on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment